Bergens Auto Body is a family owned SGI Elite auto body shop and a Trusted Regina collision repair expert. From the moment you walk in the door, you will be treated like family! We are proud to have over 80 Years Auto Body Experience, and have been serving Regina Autobody needs for over 30 Years….In our latest Bergens auto tips, we share info on how to avoid parking lot collisions in Regina.
Crowded Shopping Malls And How To Avoid Parking Lot Collisions
Back up. Pull in. Turn out. Parking lots are home to lots of activity in a relatively small amount of space. Add unique layouts, traffic patterns that vary by parking lot, bikers and pedestrians, and it’s easy to see why accidents happen in parking lots.
Who’s at fault in a parking lot accident?
When an accident happens, you can generally use one or two factors to determine who was at fault in a parking lot accident:
- Was the car moving? If only one car is moving, the driver of a moving vehicle is generally the majority at fault in an accident. For example, if your car is legally parked and someone hits it, the other driver is generally at fault.
- Which driver had the right of way? If both cars are moving, one car typically has the right of way, based on the pattern or lane of traffic. Of course, if a driver is going too fast or fails to yield that driver may be at fault.
So what do you do if you’re the victim, or the at-fault driver, of a parking lot collision?
Even better than worrying about what to do after an accident, let’s learn how to prevent one in the first place. As we strive to be the best collision repair company in Saskatchewan we want to make sure that you’re an informed and aware driver.
What to Do if You’re in a Parking Lot Collision
This is about the last thing you want to happen, but if you’re in an accident, then you need to know exactly what to do so you can get the situation remedied as quickly as possible.
First: Ensure there are no injuries, but don’t admit any fault. Even if you’re at fault, use neutral terms as you document, swap insurance information, and determine if the vehicles are impaired.
Second: If possible, use your phone’s camera or voice recorder to get the other party to admit fault. Obviously if you’re at fault don’t trick or coerce them, but sometimes people will try to deny fault after-the-fact but in the heat of the moment they will admit it. Video and voice evidence go a long way to getting your vehicle fixed.
Third: Ensure you have the proper contact information. Police will rarely respond to a parking lot accident (it’s technically private party and outside of their coverage for traffic accidents). So take a lot of pictures at the scene with your phone.
Fourth: Bring dented vehicles to Bergens Auto Body in Regina, SK to get the best auto body repairs done.
Bergens Best Practices to Avoid Collisions
Of course, it’s a whole lot easier to not get hit than to worry about all of that. Here are a few ways that you can make sure that the only thing you leave the mall or store with is bags full of shopping / groceries
- Park as far from the door as possible. Most people search for the best spot so they don’t have to walk as far. But is an extra 50 or 100 feet that hard? It’s worthwhile to avoid an accident, and you get more exercise; win-win!
- Use a spotter if you’re in a blind spot. Most of the time you can see around the cars next to you… at least fairly well. But what if you’re in an itty-bitty Honda Civic and you have two monstrous F-350’s on either side? Have a partner hop out and ensure it’s good to back up…if you are driving solo and not sure see the last point!
- Go slower. It’s a parking lot, not a race track.
- Use your horn. If someone is about to back into you, don’t be afraid to blast that horn. That’s why it’s equipped on your vehicle.
Technology to Prevent Collisions
If you’re in the market for a new car, then you’re in luck when it comes to safety! Most new vehicles have one of two technologies to ensure that you don’t get in a wreck.
Backup Cameras – Backup cameras are included in a majority of new vehicles. They’re simple, they show what’s immediately behind, and they work!
Backup Radar – Basically any new vehicle that doesn’t have a backup camera comes equipped with a backup radar. It can detect objects behind you and it alerts you to their presence, but it won’t show you what it is.
Bring Your Dings to Bergens Auto Body
Here at Bergen’s Auto Body & Collision Centre in Regina, we treat you like family and that means we want you to have happy and a safe shopping experience all year! Be safe, drive safe, and enjoy your automobiles. If you are unlucky enough to get into a collision or accident we promise to work hard to give your vehicles back to you promptly and most importantly safely!