Bergens Auto Body is a family owned SGI Elite auto body shop and a Trusted Regina collision repair expert.  From the moment you walk in the door, you will be treated like family! We are proud to have over 80 Years Auto Body Experience, and have been serving Regina Autobody needs for over 30 Years….In our latest Bergens auto tips, we share info on what do if you have a collision.

We want to make your claim process as easy as possible. Please follow the steps below from SGI to report your claim.

1 – Collect information

Make sure you exchange information with the other drivers involved in the collision.

Get their:

  • full name
  • customer number
  • licence plate number
  • insurance company
  • driver’s licence number and province where they’re from – if driver is from outside Sask.
  • and name of insurance company and policy number – if vehicle is from outside Sask.

If you can, take pictures of the scene and the damage on both vehicles.

Collision report

Our Collision Report form can help you remember what information to collect. You can print a copy and keep it in your glove box.


If anyone witnessed the collision, get their names and contact information. Witnesses can help us figure out what happened and who’s responsible for the collision.

Single-vehicle collisions

If no other vehicles were involved, then it’s considered a single-vehicle loss. These can be collisions or non-collisions, for example:

  • collision – colliding with property, a curb, pothole or wildlife, a roll-over/upset, hitting the ditch, running an object over on the roadway, etc.
  • non-collision – fire, theft, hail, vandalism, etc.

2 – Inform the police

You must report the collision to the police if any of the following criteria apply:

  • there was a death
  • 1 of the drivers appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • 1 or more vehicles aren’t roadworthy and had to be towed from the scene
  • the collision involved a vehicle without a valid licence plate
  • 1 or more of the vehicles had an out-of-province plate
  • there was loss or damage to your vehicle caused by theft or attempted theft
  • you can identify who caused a random act of vandalism or intentional malicious damage (e.g. graffiti)

If none of the above applies, you only need to report the collision to us.

Hit and run collisions

You only need to report a hit and run collision to police if you know when and where the damage occurred and there is physical evidence or witnesses that can verify the damage was caused by another vehicle.

If you’re not sure whether or not to report a hit and run, wait until you get your damage estimate in step 3 and your adjuster can advise you if it should be reported to the police.

No need to report to police

You don’t need to report damage to the police if it’s from a:

  • door ding or a shopping cart in a parking lot
  • random act of vandalism or intentional malicious damage and you can’t identify who caused it

Out-of-province claims

If you have a collision outside your province, you must report it to police before contacting SGI. Get the details.

3 – Report your claim

To file your claim, you can:

  • start your claim online with Auto eClaim
  • visit a claims centre near you
  • call us toll free
    • 1-800-667-9779
      Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST
      Saturday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST
    • 1-800-647-6448
      After regular business hours

Note: If you have damage from a road hazard, such as a stone chip, you can skip this step and go to your auto glass repair shop with your extension policy information. The shop will file your windshield repair directly with us.

What you’ll need

Have the following ready when reporting your claim:

  • your driver’s licence
  • your vehicle registration
  • all the information you collected from the other drivers involved in the collision and the witnesses at the scene
  • your auto extension insurance company and policy number – if you have 1

We’ll assign a claims adjuster to manage your claim.

Note: If your vehicle isn’t safe to drive, and the police haven’t already towed it, talk to your adjuster to find out where it needs to be towed.

Under Saskatchewan law, you have 2 years from the time of the collision to report your claim and get your vehicle repaired. We recommend reporting your claim as soon as possible to avoid any disputes over the extent of damage caused by the collision.

If you’ve been injured

Tell your adjuster if you or any passengers in your vehicle were injured. Follow the Auto injury claims process.

4 – Get a damage estimate

After filing your claim, we need to appraise your vehicle to find out how bad the damage is and prepare a damage estimate.

The damage estimate can be completed at either an:

  • accredited repair shop  – we recommend our team here at Bergens!
    • Your adjuster will tell you if you’re eligible when you report your claim.
    • After you report to SGI, let your adjuster know you’d like to take your vehicle to Bergens for repair. Getting the damage estimate completed at the same shop that repairs your vehicle can save you time.
    • Only Elite and Select accredited repair shops offer damage estimates
  • SGI claims centre
    • Your adjuster will schedule this appointment for you or you can schedule it yourself during the eClaim process.

Once the damage estimate is done, you’ll get a printout with the cost of repairs for your vehicle. Your claims adjuster will need to confirm your insurance coverage before you can have the vehicle fixed.

Determining responsibility

We’ll tell you if you’re considered responsible for the collision and then finalize the claim. See Determining responsibility for details.

Total loss vehicles

If your vehicle can’t be repaired, your adjuster will let you know the process for a total loss vehicle.

5 – Have your vehicle repaired

Once the damage estimate is done, you’ll get a copy of the estimate outlining the cost of repairs for your vehicle. If you’re responsible for paying your deductible or any other costs, it will be listed on the estimate. You can contact your adjuster with any questions you have about these costs.

Repairs must be finalized within 2 years from the date of the collision. It’s a good idea to complete repairs as soon as possible to avoid any deterioration or further damage to the vehicle. Have damage to headlights, tail lights, tires, wheels, etc., fixed as soon as possible. Also, some types of damage can make your vehicle unsafe or less safe to drive.

See details on Damage repair and parts page.

Vehicle rentals

The cost of a rental vehicle is covered if:

  • You’re not responsible for the collision and you need a replacement vehicle, providing the responsible driver has insurance coverage.
  • You have extra auto insurance coverage. Talk to your insurance broker for the details of your coverage or refer to your policy cover page.

6 – Authorize payment

Once your vehicle has been repaired, the body shop will ask you to sign a Certificate of Repairs form. This form signifies that you’re satisfied with the repairs and authorizes us to pay the body shop.

Here at Bergen’s Auto Body & Collision Centre, we treat you like family and that means we work hard to give your vehicles back to you properly and most importantly safely!